About Senior Project

Erik L.-West

Topic: Karate Competitions/Tournaments

EQ: What is most important to competing as a top rated competitor in Martial Arts Tournaments?

Monday, September 19, 2011

Senior Project Presentation 1

Objective: Students will learn the dynamics of a point sparring match, in Sport Karate.

Procedure: 1. Introduce by asking the audience if any of them have been to a Karate Tournament and/or if they know how point systems work.

2. I will explain how the point systems work.

3. Call on a few students and check if they know how many points are earned for a kicking technique and for a hand technique.

4. Demonstrate the correct timing and spots for scoring with those regular techniques.

5. Demonstrate the correct timing and spots for advanced techniques (spinning kicks, difficult combinations etc.)

6. Call on a few students to check if they understand the timing of the techniques and spots of the body to hit when there’s an opening.

Check for Understanding: I will make sure the audience catches every technique that I demonstrate, then check what they saw and learned of how the point(s) are earned from them.  I will also be checking if they know what are the correct openings and timings for scoring.

Resources/Materials: I will be referring to one of my articles from my research about the point systems.  As for my materials, I will have my visual which will be a poster with little karate figures drawn sparring, each one throwing a different technique on the other; I’ll also have a small wooden mannequin to display a few techniques.

Literal: Facts I have learned from this is how point fighting matches are judged and the number of points each technique is worth.

Interpretive: The most important thing is to know the dynamics of judging divisions such as point fighting.  Also knowing great fighting tactics are important to raising chances on winning a point fighting match.

Applied: My goal at the end of the project is to know what it takes to become a top rated competitor and what judges really look for in other types of divisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment